CSS Image Gallery Support Product Page

Who determines the order of draw?

Asked 30 Aug 2023 13:52:30
has this question
30 Aug 2023 13:52:30 Ollie Acon posted:
Have you even heard of this term in the field of phlebotomy? Until recently, I did not understand this until my brother, who is studying to be a doctor, told me more about this profession. If you know any interesting facts about it, tell me too!

Replies

Replied 30 Aug 2023 14:28:23
30 Aug 2023 14:28:23 Joan Binner replied:
As far as i know the National Commission of Clinical Laboratory Standards, the Clinical Laboratory Standards Institute approves and publishes the order of draw phlebotomy. Since the procedure can change if new research indicates probable inaccuracy in a test result, it is important that health care and testing facilities use the most recent order of draw. The latest update is the H3-A6 from November 2007 that is also used by several laboratory accreditation agencies, including The Joint Commission and the College of American Pathologist.
Replied 30 Aug 2023 15:01:15
30 Aug 2023 15:01:15 Georgia Mill replied:
It is known that the World Federation of Clinical and Chemical Laboratory Medicine (IFCC) and the World Federation of Phlebotomists (WFP) have jointly developed guidelines for blood collection procedures. This recommendation is a kind of standard that helps to ensure the correct processing and analysis of blood, ensuring the minimum probability of errors.
Replied 30 Aug 2023 22:11:03
30 Aug 2023 22:11:03 Nia Cabrera replied:
Phlebotomy is the medical practice of drawing blood from patients for various purposes, such as medical testing, donations, or transfusions.
It's great that your brother is studying to become a doctor and shared more about the field of phlebotomy with you.
Phlebotomists typically undergo specialized training to learn proper techniques for venipuncture (drawing blood from veins) and skin punctures. Some regions require phlebotomists to be certified before practicing.
Blood samples collected through phlebotomy are crucial for diagnosing a wide range of medical conditions. These samples provide insights into a patient's health by measuring various parameters such as blood cell counts, glucose levels, cholesterol levels, and more.

Advancements in medical technology have led to the development of new tools and techniques for blood collection. These innovations aim to make the process more efficient, less painful, and safer for both patients and phlebotomists.
Phlebotomists play a significant role in blood donation drives and blood banks. Donated blood is used in medical procedures, surgeries, and emergencies to save lives.
Becoming a phlebotomist can be a stepping stone into the medical field. Many individuals use it as a starting point and later pursue careers as nurses, medical technologists, or other healthcare professionals.
Replied 17 May 2024 09:53:15
17 May 2024 09:53:15 User  replied:
The order of draw in phlebotomy, which ensures accurate blood test results, is determined by guidelines established by organizations like the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI). These guidelines specify the sequence in which blood collection tubes should be filled to prevent cross-contamination of additives between tubes. For instance, if a patient is undergoing tests related to a medication like wegovy for weight loss the order of draw must be meticulously followed to ensure the results are not compromised. Proper adherence to the order of draw is crucial for accurate diagnosis and treatment planning, including evaluating the efficacy of treatments like Wegovy for weight loss.

Reply to this topic