Forums

This topic is locked

i can't monitor clickthrough on my links - HELP!!

Posted 24 Jun 2008 19:31:53
has voted
24 Jun 2008 19:31:53 Giancarlo Viglianisi posted:
hi people,

i am having real trouble finding a simple solution to track outgoing links - all i want to do is get a statistic of how many people clicked on certain adverts so i can send that statistic to the advertiser.

i can find plenty of people who offer complex programs with a wealth of information but not what i need, or people who offer a 'redirection' option but is there no simple hidden way i can do this in dreamweaver?

is the redirect option the only way? i understand people don't like this as they are weary of being redirected via somewhere else

any advice appreciated

Replies

Replied 28 Jun 2008 13:59:15
28 Jun 2008 13:59:15 Georgi Kralev replied:
Hi Giancarlo,

Instead redirect, you can use javascript to record the clicks on your outgoing links.

1. For example:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>&lt;a href="outside-site.com" onClick='somefunction(link_name)'&gt;Outsidelink&lt;/a&gt;
In somefunction() you need to a call an image , like:
&lt;img src="counter.php?link=link_name"&gt;
So you can count that way all users which click the link (if they have javascript enabled, of course), also their vbulletin_user_id you need to get it from session, in counter.php file.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
For more information check the following forum:
forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=55625

2. If you do not want to develop your own server-side page for link counting, you can use Google Analytics.
There is an article which explains how you can track down outgoing links with Google Analytics:
www.technicallyeasy.net/2008/04/how-to-track-outgoing-links-with-google.html

The drawback of this approach is that if the users are disabled the JavaScript on their browsers the link clicks will not be recorded.

Anyway, I hope this gives you another option for consideration.

Best regards,

Georgi Kralev

Homepage: gdkralev.googlepages.com

Reply to this topic