Forums

PHP

This topic is locked

Create membership access?

Posted 29 Apr 2008 22:08:54
has voted
29 Apr 2008 22:08:54 Josh lindem posted:
I know how to create a "members only" section of a website so that any access to pages within a folder have to enter a username/password which will grant them access for the time they are on that website.

But I just received a new client that wants to take it further. My client wants to setup the website so that users will pay for their membership access.
This is new teritory for me and I could really use some help.

1) I can set it up so that the user will pay for their membership. But than I'll need a little guidance on during that payment process, set it up so that they create a username/password, and that it becomes active upon payment.

2) Depending on the type of membership they purchase (monthly, annually, etc), how will I get it so that it will expire towards the end of their membership based on what they purchased?

It's a simple website in the grand scheme of things, but it is something I need to have working for the client.

I am working in PHP\MYSQL enviroment.

Thanks,
Josh

Replies

Replied 30 Apr 2008 11:03:41
30 Apr 2008 11:03:41 Alan C replied:
HI
there are membership applications that can be bought off the shelf, I did a lot of work looking at them a couple of years ago and couldn't find anything that did just what I wanted so ended up growing my own, the starting point was a tutorial on evolt.org - worth a look, but without modification it will not do what you want.

What I have is based on that, with different levels of membership and also keeping track of when the person signed up, then i can add to that to arrive at an expiry date - that lets you do things like (in my case) reverting their advertising entries from enhanced back to basic when their payment runs out.

If you can find something that does what you need it will save you masses of time in the long run and you'll get the benefit of updates. Worth looking at the paypal stuff on subscriptions too.
Replied 01 May 2008 21:01:02
01 May 2008 21:01:02 Will S. replied:
Try the Adobe Developer Toolbox. At the very least, you can setup the user mechanism and user levels.

Reply to this topic