Forums

ASP

This topic is locked

Dreamweaver Test Server Windows 2K3 Help

Posted 05 Mar 2008 13:30:13
has voted
05 Mar 2008 13:30:13 Johnny Bravo posted:
I really need some help setting up a test server for Dreamweaver, I've got Windows Server 2003 but I'm not sure what to do so I can use it as a test server. I want to do it as if over a LAN but don't have a clue what I need to do.

I've made a number of static sites but this is my first go at a dynamic site and don't know how to get started and I can't preview anything I've done without a test server for Dreamweaver.

Can anyone offer some help please?

Replies

Replied 08 Mar 2008 00:18:31
08 Mar 2008 00:18:31 Charles Knight replied:
I think you would be better using or creating a real domain for testing, perhaps register one you can always use as a test for customers, or create one on anexisting domain.
By doing this you avoid setting up 2K3 which can be a pain plus you know by developing you test site on an actual live server that it will work OK when you move it to a live site...

DW8 | ASP | ACCESS
Replied 08 Mar 2008 00:54:37
08 Mar 2008 00:54:37 Johnny Bravo replied:
Thanks Charlie, I've been considering that, it could save me some hassle with 2K3 and problems going live, like you mentioned. Though it would still be nice to know how to set it up myself and I'm not sure if I'll ever make it live so I'm not sure if I want to pay for hosting + a domain when I'm not sure I'm going to use it.

It doesn't even have to be 2K3, any setup that would let me use Dreamweaver + ASP (probably with VBscript) + SQL/MySQL would do.

I guess I might end up getting a domain and trying it out since I was hoping to be messing around with it by now.
Replied 08 Mar 2008 17:10:59
08 Mar 2008 17:10:59 Javier Castro replied:
You can emulate a real setup with what you have.
Just use your server as both the testing server and the remote server. Use your C: Drive to have your local copy that you later uplaod to your server. You will have to setup a string connection to see your db's and all. So it's not different that having it on a webhost.

Hope it helps.

Javier

Javier
"I'm a slow learner and I forget fast" grandpa
DW | FW | ASP | HTML | CSS

Reply to this topic