Forums

ASP

This topic is locked

Custom Connection String Issues

Posted 29 Nov 2007 02:06:10
has voted
29 Nov 2007 02:06:10 Jason nosaj posted:
I can't seem to create a connection to an Access database. Here are all the detail:

Developing asp website on a Mac in Dreamweaver 8 and uploading via ftp.
Using aspwebhosting.com as remote host for site and database.
Root contains folder "sites > domain.com" This is where the site files go.
Root also contains folder "data > domain.com" This is where the Access mdb file sits.

The DSN-Less connection string they are providing is:
Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=D:\inetpub\domainname.com\data\domainname.com\filename.mdb;

I enter the above into the connection string field in Dreamweaver and it tells me "an unidentified error has occurred". Am I missing a major step? Is it not as easy as placing the mdb file in the proper location and then creating the connection string in Dreamweaver?

Replies

Replied 01 Dec 2007 06:47:53
01 Dec 2007 06:47:53 Javier Castro replied:
This looks more like it:
Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=D:\inetpub\user\data\filename.mdb;

However, there is a nice tutorial to do this that helped me initially. Try it out:

www.ultradevguru.com/tutorial/dsnless.htm

Cheers,

Javier

Edited by - am7555 on 01 Dec 2007 06:48:40

Edited by - am7555 on 01 Dec 2007 06:49:07
Replied 05 Dec 2007 20:09:08
05 Dec 2007 20:09:08 Jason nosaj replied:
Thanks for the insite. I got the problem fixed. It was actually on the service provider end. They had the IIS set in Javascript and I had been designing in VBscript. Custom connection string worked perfectly.

I am running into another problem. When I create a recordset, I can see all tables and fields but when I test, it errors. If I use the "advanced" tab I can test in here and it pulls the data but once I create the recordset it errors. Is there a setting I am missing or is this also something on then service provider's end? I think it's weird that the advanced tab will pull data in a preview format but not once it becomes a true recordset.

Reply to this topic