PHP

This topic is locked

Is this PHP or something else?

Posted 17 May 2007 14:56:57
has voted
17 May 2007 14:56:57 Darryl Lennon posted:
Hi

Can anyone answer this for me?

I've found a neat looking trick on a couple of pages - don't know that it's official name is, but you can change the content of part of a page by clicking on a tab.

There's examples on the following pages: www.virginmedia.com/ & uk2.net/

Anyone know what it's called, if it's PHP or something else (I know for a fact that it ain't flash!) - and how do you do it?!?!

Thanks in advance!

Darryl L

Replies

Replied 24 May 2007 02:57:14
24 May 2007 02:57:14 Kenneth Halley replied:
Looks like its javascript to me.

You could create something like this in Fireworks and import it, or indeed with all the graphics already created some of DW inbuilt behaviours would allow you to do it.

If you really want to see how they have done it- the easiest way is to open the source of the page and cut and paste it into DW, you can download all the images and place them in a similar local file structure and then have a play withthe code to see how it works. If they link to external javascript files look for the paths in the code and then type these into the url bar in your browser you can then pull them down too.

I am not the person to advise on js coding tho'- I tinker with existing scripts and reference books for stuff I specifically want to do or hack but I don't really write the stuff.

-----------------------------------
www.halleynet.co.uk
Replied 24 May 2007 16:11:50
24 May 2007 16:11:50 Alan C replied:
The tabs on uk2.net all call a new page, if you roll your mousepointer over them in turn you should see the url that they access.

Kenneth is right about saving the source, if you do that in Firefox it will save the page as htm and put all the images and css into a single folder with an appropriate name, then you can point dw at that as a new site and pick the code apart. That's a really good way to learn new methods.

Reply to this topic