Forums

This topic is locked

aarugh! NT server config for Ultradev JSP...

Posted 22 Jun 2001 17:11:10
has voted
22 Jun 2001 17:11:10 L Johnson posted:
I've been involved with web development for years, but I am having challenges setting up an NT server environment so that my staff and I can do the UltraDev tutorial for JSP.

Both our internet sites (hosted) and our intranet site (in development) have JSP capabilities (external sites, Apache and Tomcat on Unix; internal sites, Apache and Websphere on NT, moving to Unix).
Our intranet site has been set up to focus on JSP development. So, it made sense to go to JSP for the tutorials at this point instead of ASP, which I know IIS would worked more happily with.

On this NT server box, I have IIS 4.0, the latest Sun Java SDK, the current developer's edition of JRun. I set up a DSN for the tutorial database...I set it up as a System DSN, not a User DSN...the manual didn't specify but I suspected System DSN would be the right choice.

Here's what's working -- The web server itself (IIS) is working. Secondly, I checked to make sure that JRun test applications worked. They do.

In Ultradev, accessing the database in the tutorial works. I can do the connection test and get the recordsets in to do the search page as in the tutorial. However, when I try to do a live data view on the results page, or try to run the edited and saved page itself on the site, I get an error message.

"Exception thrown on line '87' from page [then the page is listed]
java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft] [ODBC Driver Manager] Invalid cursor state
then it references sun.jdbc.odbc....and allaire.jrun.jsp and allaire.jrun.servlet...etc. in about 20 lines of error messages.

Any idea what is wrong or what is missing in my server configurations? I won't get much help from our internal IT server support, because they are pretty clueless about web servers and java. The intranet has been set up for us by an outside contractor, and "knowledge transfer" about Java is just filtering into the company at this point (it's scary, I'm the webmaster for the external sites, I only have a smattering of knowledge about Java, and that's more then the rest of the internal support staff combined).

Replies

Replied 22 Jun 2001 17:37:56
22 Jun 2001 17:37:56 Dave Joosten replied:
I hear ya, yes i hear a comon story ! When i moved for a new carreer from Europe to North America it was all supposed to be in ASP etc and i ended up with JSP. Now i never worry about something new, and yes what happens now will happen again. The main issues are getting used to it and this takes time, i can suggest you the books i posted, they sure give you some additional help once you develop JSP pages. Myself i worked with IBM WebSphere server cause i considered it much more stable then IIS hosting it. Now if you are gonna stick with IIS, that is no problem in general.

Just read this: (from the experts)
The JDBC-ODBC bridge is a great tool for developers who are interested in learning JDBC but may not want to invest in anything beyond the Microsoft Access database ... When developing for production sites, however you almost certainly want to move to a JDBC driver that is native to your deployment database engine.

And i do agree with what the quote. What ill do is write a tutorial with lot's of usefull information when you consider using JSP and what the direction can be. For example you can use JDBC and MySQL, but what driver do i use ? Well ill try to give some answers to what you should know before you get to far and feel limited.

About the error i'm not sure what it is exactly but it looks for sure that there is some code missing or bad that the ODBC driver is using so usually this is your SQL statment or any part of the connection code.

Tell me what system your used to work with, ill i will be glad to give you the best options so you feel more confident on having the knowledge on this. Your company will have to consider that more then putting a system nobody can support at your IT department or get you into training. Now for sure get the books i posted, they are so valuable and i get all my answers from there if i'm stuck myself.

Ill post a message when i got this tutorial posted.

Kind regards,

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I've been involved with web development for years, but I am having challenges setting up an NT server environment so that my staff and I can do the UltraDev tutorial for JSP.

Both our internet sites (hosted) and our intranet site (in development) have JSP capabilities (external sites, Apache and Tomcat on Unix; internal sites, Apache and Websphere on NT, moving to Unix).
Our intranet site has been set up to focus on JSP development. So, it made sense to go to JSP for the tutorials at this point instead of ASP, which I know IIS would worked more happily with.

On this NT server box, I have IIS 4.0, the latest Sun Java SDK, the current developer's edition of JRun. I set up a DSN for the tutorial database...I set it up as a System DSN, not a User DSN...the manual didn't specify but I suspected System DSN would be the right choice.

Here's what's working -- The web server itself (IIS) is working. Secondly, I checked to make sure that JRun test applications worked. They do.

In Ultradev, accessing the database in the tutorial works. I can do the connection test and get the recordsets in to do the search page as in the tutorial. However, when I try to do a live data view on the results page, or try to run the edited and saved page itself on the site, I get an error message.

"Exception thrown on line '87' from page [then the page is listed]
java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft] [ODBC Driver Manager] Invalid cursor state
then it references sun.jdbc.odbc....and allaire.jrun.jsp and allaire.jrun.servlet...etc. in about 20 lines of error messages.

Any idea what is wrong or what is missing in my server configurations? I won't get much help from our internal IT server support, because they are pretty clueless about web servers and java. The intranet has been set up for us by an outside contractor, and "knowledge transfer" about Java is just filtering into the company at this point (it's scary, I'm the webmaster for the external sites, I only have a smattering of knowledge about Java, and that's more then the rest of the internal support staff combined).

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Dave Joosten

Reply to this topic