Forums

This topic is locked

Problem with Database Connections

Posted 21 Jun 2001 18:04:44
has voted
21 Jun 2001 18:04:44 Kirby Paugh posted:
Could someone please help!?

I work on an Intranet, and when I try to use a custom database connection string, the test finds the databse, but nothing shows up in my connection box.

I have mapped a drive to my server, which is g:\Lab
I used this in my connection string.. Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=G:\Lab\Lab_Request.mdb

Since all the computer are recognized here with pc names should i be using a connection with the name of the pc name somehow?

What could be my problem?

Replies

Replied 21 Jun 2001 21:50:55
21 Jun 2001 21:50:55 Dave Joosten replied:
Hello,

Well i guess your lucky day cause i just upload a tutorial about Custom Connection strings.
You will just have to wait a little but i hope it will be approved shortly, you will be able to find it in the Tutorial section.
Titled "Switching from ODBC to OLE DB"

Have a look when it's up there and if it still doesn't work, post a message there and ill help you out on the issue that would follow.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Could someone please help!?

I work on an Intranet, and when I try to use a custom database connection string, the test finds the databse, but nothing shows up in my connection box.

I have mapped a drive to my server, which is g:\Lab
I used this in my connection string.. Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=G:\Lab\Lab_Request.mdb

Since all the computer are recognized here with pc names should i be using a connection with the name of the pc name somehow?

What could be my problem?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Dave Joosten
Replied 21 Jun 2001 22:54:37
21 Jun 2001 22:54:37 Dave Joosten replied:
Please check out this tutorial: "Switching from ODBC to OLE DB" - www.udzone.com/showDetail.asp?TypeId=2&NewsId=859

Dave Joosten
Replied 21 Jun 2001 23:54:40
21 Jun 2001 23:54:40 Kirby Paugh replied:
Nice tutorial!

But when I tried it, i recieved "Not a Vaild File Name" and I know the file is there.

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source = & Server.Mappath("\lab\Lab_Request.mdb"

is what I used.. any more comments or Ideas. .. I would really appreciate your help on this..

Replied 22 Jun 2001 00:07:15
22 Jun 2001 00:07:15 Dave Joosten replied:
Hello Kirby,

If you have a problem with the path, you can try out what i wrote at the bottom of the tutorial or you can use this string:
Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=c:\somepath\dbname.mdb;User Id=admin;Password=pass;

That should work perfect. Let me know if this fixed your problem !

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Nice tutorial!

But when I tried it, i recieved "Not a Vaild File Name" and I know the file is there.

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source = & Server.Mappath("\lab\Lab_Request.mdb"

is what I used.. any more comments or Ideas. .. I would really appreciate your help on this..

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Dave Joosten

Reply to this topic