Forums

PHP

This topic is locked

CMS and PHP Image Browser

Posted 14 Jul 2006 19:02:25
has voted
14 Jul 2006 19:02:25 Matt Bailey posted:
I'm not new to creating CMS, but I'm trying to improve what I do each time I create one.

Bascially I'm after advice on implementing a PHP image browser in my CMS. I can create a standard update page and in the past I have simply let the user pick a new image from a dropdown list of ones available. However, the site i'm working on at the moment has too many images to make this solution feasible, and I'd like the user to also be able to see the images before choosing one.

What would be the best way to go about creating a pop up window that shows thumbnails of all the images? The user could then tick a checkbox to select the one they want.

I'm not interested in how to make the page display the image thumbnails, I can do that, but I don't know how to send the selected image value back to the main browser window ready to be inserted in my database. Can this be done in PHP or would it have to be Javascript (gulp)?

Replies

Replied 17 Jul 2006 15:28:40
17 Jul 2006 15:28:40 Matt Bailey replied:
I guess in a nutshell all I need to know is how to pass a variable from a pop up window back to the parent window below and put that variable in a text field so it can be inserted in a database.

Replied 18 Jul 2006 13:18:02
18 Jul 2006 13:18:02 Matt Bailey replied:
Anyone? Would this be more of a javascript thing? Should I cross post in the javascript forum?

The only other thing I can think of is to separate the edit sequence across a number of pages, so the first page edits the text and the next page edits the image, what do people think?

Replied 18 Jul 2006 18:33:30
18 Jul 2006 18:33:30 Roddy Dairion replied:
For you image i guess you would be using radio buttons for the user to select from it?
Replied 18 Jul 2006 18:38:10
18 Jul 2006 18:38:10 Matt Bailey replied:
It's not so much the mechanics of how the user picks the image, I can do that a number of ways. What I really need to know is how to send a variable from a 'popped up' window back to the 'parent' window. The more I think about this the more I'm sure it's a javascript thing. Because PHP is server side I don't see how I can send a variable back to a page without refreshing the page first. I'm off to the javascript forum...

Reply to this topic