Forums

This topic is locked

Ever get corrupt records in Access due memo field

Posted 18 Jun 2004 03:10:11
has voted
18 Jun 2004 03:10:11 Bob Brammer posted:
Hi,

Help is welcome on this one. I have a great set of pages that work fine, but it seems that insert or update pages don't always work now on some records . . .

It seems that when lots of text is shoved into a memo fields the database ID for that record gets messed up. Intial record insertion goes OK, but updated is hosed.

While pages still display the records on the WWW, the ID is glitched up in such a way that you can not longer edit the record . . . upon submission you get and errors like 'search ID not found in any record.'

I'm told this may have to do with the field order in Access and upon the submission page.

Has anyone run into this? Solution has something to do with moving the memo fields to be listed last in Access and submitted last from the WWW.

Any ideas?

Replies

Replied 18 Jun 2004 16:33:02
18 Jun 2004 16:33:02 Dave Thomas replied:
never run across it, what version of access you using?

Regards,
Dave

[img]www.nova-cs.co.uk/DmxAvatar.jpg" border="0">

[DWMX 2004]|[FlashMX 2004 Pro]|[Studio MX 2004]|[SQL]|[Access2000/2002]|[ASP/VBScript]|[XP-Pro]
Replied 18 Jun 2004 17:27:10
18 Jun 2004 17:27:10 Bob Brammer replied:
I'm adding and updating records in an Access .mdb via WWW .asp page.
Authored in Dreamweaver 2004 MX.

Help is welcome on this one. I have a great set of pages that work
fine, but it seems that insert or update pages don't always work now
on some records . . .

It seems that when lots of text is shoved into a memo fields the
database ID for that record gets messed up. Intial record insertion
goes OK, but updating is then hosed.

Insert and update pages work OK, and "most" records will update. The
strange error I'm getting is:

--------------

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'

The search key was not found in any record.

------------

While pages still display the records on the WWW, the record ID is
glitched up in such a way that you can not longer edit the record . .
. upon submission you get and errors like 'search ID not found in any
record.'

I'm told this may have to do with the field order in Access and upon
the submission page.

Has anyone run into this? Solution has something to do with moving the
memo fields to be listed last in Access and submitted last from the
WWW.

Have you ever heard of field order mattering upon insert and/or update
of WWW submissions to an Access database . . . where memo fields are
best to be at the end of the submission order . . . otherwise they may
glitch up the existing records upon updating?

I've had a couple sites where the ID key of records gets corrupted in
Access and I can no longer update certain records and need to run
compact/repair to get the dbase back to normal. But, the problem
re-occurs.
Replied 18 Jun 2004 17:31:57
18 Jun 2004 17:31:57 Bob Brammer replied:
Here's the thread of the guy who seemed to know a lot about the memo field issue.

Does this make sense? Ever heard of this issue?

Possible REAL answer:

This may shed light on the problem, that somehow, maybe indirectly was linked with Adv HTML

dmxzone.com/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=28659

Seems a space in an Access field name caused the corruption, but was inconsistent . . . and showed only on records with large text in Adv HTML field (though it was named fine . . .)

Very odd.

www.crystaltech.com/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=8267

Edited by - bbrammer on 23 Jun 2004 19:20:08
Replied 06 Jul 2004 15:36:14
06 Jul 2004 15:36:14 Adrienne Lore replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hello,

I can safely say that this probably doesn't have anything to do with the asp or html that you are using. I am getting the same error, but I am only running an Access 2002 database. The table has 5 fields, including one memo field where I am storing a large amount of SQL code. If you find a way around this let me know-- and I will continue searching as well!

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Replied 10 May 2006 06:26:44
10 May 2006 06:26:44 Kieran McManus replied:

Solution: Remove index of Memo field

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have also experienced this issue trying to insert/edit large Memo fields. And like others my database kept getting corrupted, or it would say that another user already has database open.

Anyhow, the problem is that the Memo field was Indexed. When creating new field in Access, it defaults to Indexed="Yes". So you need to ensure that your memo field is set to non-indexed.

Hope this helps y'all....
Kieran McManus

Replied 30 Apr 2008 16:02:53
30 Apr 2008 16:02:53 Alan Chen replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Solution: Remove index of Memo field

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have also experienced this issue trying to insert/edit large Memo fields. And like others my database kept getting corrupted, or it would say that another user already has database open.

Anyhow, the problem is that the Memo field was Indexed. When creating new field in Access, it defaults to Indexed="Yes". So you need to ensure that your memo field is set to non-indexed.

Hope this helps y'all....
Kieran McManus

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Hi,

I ever had corrupted database several times. And I would like to use a tool called Advanced Access Repair to repair my .mdb files. It worked well for me. Its homepage is www.datanumen.com/aar/ Hope this helps, too.

Alan

fyz

Reply to this topic