Forums

This topic is locked

Data Encryption

Posted 06 Oct 2003 07:50:23
has voted
06 Oct 2003 07:50:23 Johan Van Dyk posted:
When inserting data into an SQL database from a form(somepage.asp), how would one go about to encript specific values supplied by the visitor and if I want to display the data agian, how would I de-crypt the data again so that it is readable to the visitor?

<b>As an example:</b>
A visitor needs to register and I prompt him/her for a username and password. How can I encrypt the password upon registration? When the user needs to log in at a later stage, how could I retrieve the encrypted password - decrypt it and compare it to the password the visitor supplied.

Any help and/or examples will be appreciated!

Johan

Edited by - Johan on 06 Oct 2003 07:50:58

Replies

Replied 08 Oct 2003 16:14:07
08 Oct 2003 16:14:07 Brian Hutchison replied:
This is a great question, I am to waiting for an answer on this one...I use MySQL and I know the feature is part of a database function, but I do not how to make the ASP encrypt/decrypt for a password field. Any help is appreciated!
Replied 08 Oct 2003 17:26:09
08 Oct 2003 17:26:09 Sean Cunningham replied:
There is an undocumented function of SQL Server called encrypt(), which works in some versions, that operates like MySQL's password() function. I'm not sure how reliable/stable it is since it is an undocumented & unsupported feature. There are some reports on this function being used successfully, but I haven't used it myself.

Reply to this topic