Forums

PHP

This topic is locked

globlal variables

Posted 17 Jul 2003 18:24:03
has voted
17 Jul 2003 18:24:03 Eric Kaiser posted:
We are going to make the switch from an ASP/SQL web server to a PHP/mySQL setup. Our IT staff has said they will not turn on gobal variables for security reasons. My concern is that most, if not all, PHP extensions I use will be useless. It appears that most of them utilize global variables.

I won't actually know which ones do and which ones don't until we are further along in the project. But I was wondering if anybody is working in the PHP/mySQL environment with globals turned off and are utilizing some of the PHP extensions from dmx zone.

Also, I would like to use the PHAKT PHP extension for developing the pages. But again, if it utilizes globals I'm screwed.

I work in a fast paced environment. Hand coding sucks when you are under pressure.

Thanks in advance for any pointers or suggestions.

Regards,
Eric Kaiser

Replies

Replied 17 Jul 2003 18:53:02
17 Jul 2003 18:53:02 Shane Kelly replied:
Hey Eric,

I've developed an entire portal using PHP/mySQL using PHakt...and I can't begin to tell you how good it is...however...from my experience most extension designers design their extensions to work around the PHP/mySQL features of MX, and not the PHP/ADODB features used by PHakt.

Case in point...I just spent over $89 on PHP Upload from DMX Zone, and so far...i don't think it will work with PHakt. so it is useless to me.(great investment) Often I'll go to macromedia.com/extensions, and download tonnes of great PHP extensions to speed up my workflow, only to find out, I can't use any of them in my PHakt designed site, because they are not compatible. So from my standpoint it is a toss up..either you go with PHakt for all of its great features, and for-go all other extensions, or you go with the built in PHP/mySQL features of dreamweaver and make use of some specific extensions (and hard code the features provided by PHakt). It's a toss-up. I don't know what to say about global variables...my ISP hosts both my web and database servers so I've not had to modify any global variables.

Reply to this topic