Forums

PHP

This topic is locked

Test Server for PHP

Posted 16 Jul 2003 02:39:30
has voted
16 Jul 2003 02:39:30 Danny Carrone posted:
how do i set up the test server. when i try to select a database, i get an error...i am new to MX and learning...thx!!!

Danny

Replies

Replied 29 Jul 2003 13:19:50
29 Jul 2003 13:19:50 Terry Ashley replied:
<font face='Verdana'>
Were you able to connect to the test server ok, does the database reside on your local machine or a remote machine? Make sure you have proper access to the db you’re trying to connect to; I am assuming it is a MySQL database, correct? What is the exact error you are getting?
</font id='Verdana'>

Terry D. Ashley
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." ..Albert Einstein
Replied 29 Jul 2003 15:51:38
29 Jul 2003 15:51:38 Shane Kelly replied:
Hey 504pro... i had the same problems when I switched to dreamweaver MX.

THis is how I got it fixed, and working.

1. First of all you need to start with a new site...it won't work if the site you're using has existing connection and include folders for example.

2. Go to php.net and apache.org and download the newest stable versions of both and install them on your local machine (if you don't know how to do this...look on php.net for installation instructions.

3. Once you have installed apache...make sure it is working by opening your browser and going to localhost

it should open a page with a funky feather on it...if you've done that then you're well on your way.

4. Now you need to tell apache how to deal with PHP files so there are instructions on php.net on how to change the config file (httpd.conf)

5. then browse to the folder where Apache was installed (probably C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\) and click on the htdocs folder...this is your root folder...

6. Create a test php file in here called test.php and inside of that file enter:
&lt;?php

echo "hello world";

?&gt;

...and save it. in the htdocs folder

7. Go to your browser and type localhost/test.php
...if you page shows up youve set up PHP and Apache properly...if not go back and look at anything you've missed.

8. Assuming it is working create a folder in the htdocs folder maybe call it TESTINGSERVER

9. Now you are ready to set up DWMX.
Go to the setup procedures and under the Testing server pane enter:

Server Model -&gt; PHP/MySQL

Access -&gt; Local/Network

Testing Server Folder -&gt; C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\TESTINGSERVER
Check -&gt; Refresh Remote File List

URL Prefix -&gt; localhost/TESTINGSERVER/

10. I also set up my local info pane to point to the same folder C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\TESTINGSERVER\ ...but I leave the HTTP Address as my sites root URL www.mysite.com/

Assuming you completed steps 1-9 properly it should work well. If you get the same error message something isn't working. You'll need to have this server running all the time when you are developing or you will continue to get error messages out of DWMX. You should see a little pink feather with a green play arrow in the task bar that should say running all apache services if you scroll over it....green arrow means your testing server is running...red square means it has stopped...oh yeah...and make sure you are behind a firewall/secure router to avoid problems.

Hope that helps

Reply to this topic