Forums

This topic is locked

Create SQL dbase

Posted 27 May 2003 21:59:59
has voted
27 May 2003 21:59:59 Russell Marshall posted:
I currently create web sites using DMX, MS Access and ASP.
This appears to be fine as the sites are low usage but I am about to design a site that will hopefully get lots of hits.

What software do I need to create an MS SQL dbase locally. I will be using my current Win 2000 ISP to host the site so I do not need to have the clever server stuff on my win2k pc. (??)

Basically I just want to create the DB like I create an eccess db then upload it to the server and connect and manage it remotely.

Regards

Davrus

Russell

Replies

Replied 27 May 2003 22:17:26
27 May 2003 22:17:26 Owen Eastwick replied:
You need to have a SQL Server to upload your SQL Server database to, you can't just upload a file to your web directory as you would with Access, so first you will need a hosting plan that includes a SQL Server database. Usually SQL Server space is rented separately to web server space and you pay according to how large a database you require in much the same way as web space.

Next you will need to purchase a copy of SQL Server, the developer edition will allow you to develop and test locally, it has all the feature of the enterprise edition, but is not licenced for use on a production server.

SQL Server home page: www.microsoft.com/sql/default.asp
Licences: www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/production.asp
120 day trial: www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/trial/default.asp

Regards

Owen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Used programming books and web development software for sale (UK only): www.tdsf.co.uk/tdsfdemo/Shop.htm

Developer services and tutorials: www.drdev.net

Multiple Parameter UD4 / Access 2000 Search Tutorial: www.tdsf.co.uk/tdsfdemo/

Reply to this topic