Forums

PHP

This topic is locked

Drag and drop file upload

Posted 16 Apr 2003 08:32:39
has voted
16 Apr 2003 08:32:39 Adam Davies posted:
Hi,
A Client of mine has come up with an interesting idea which I don't know if it can be accomplished yet so it thought I would ask in here to see if anyone else has done something like it before I spend a few hours searching for an answer.

What he wants to be done is we have a site with tabs for different sections across the top and what he wants to do is to upload a file just open up a file browser on his machine click on one of the tabs to open up that page and then drag a file from the file browser on his machine and drop it on the web which would then upload itself to the server and enter the filename and the web section page name into a mysql database.

I know it would be complicated (i've never seen it done before, so might be impossible) but like I said I thought I would ask before spendning my day searching.

Replies

Replied 16 Apr 2003 10:23:10
16 Apr 2003 10:23:10 Julio Taylor replied:
oh man...

as far as i know there is no way to do that... interfacing the windows desktop with a browser (and PHP) would require some serious platform-level programming which i don't think is inherently supported by PHP. You may want to look at the .NET architecture, that may have something to do with this?

i think the main problem lies in the fact that web documents are conceptually designed to be platform-independent information portals designed to serve infinite possible combinations of hardware and software on the internet. something like this will require some windows-oriented (OS) inetraction which i don't think is possible.

however it is entirely possible that i am completely wrong.

------------------------
Julio

PHP | MySQL | DWMX

MSN:
Replied 16 Apr 2003 10:41:26
16 Apr 2003 10:41:26 Adam Davies replied:
I thought that may be the case, I just had thought whilst having my breakfast though.

As internet explorer has it's own ftp client built in, for the admin I could when he clicked on the tab open up the ftp folder in a window and then he could just drag the files over to it and then for the client using the site show a list of the files in that ftp folder using php.

Would that work or am I simplyifing things a bit much???

Reply to this topic