Forums

This topic is locked

MySQL Setup in Dreamweaver

Posted 13 Mar 2003 16:40:47
has voted
13 Mar 2003 16:40:47 michael cross posted:
Being a bit fick, I hope you don't mind if I tackle your brainpower for a while.
I am brand new to MySQL and played a little with Dreamweaver MX.
I operate on WinXP pro.
The problems I need sorting are these:
My host as MySQL and PHP installed on my site account. I have been given the username and password to them.
I have downloaded the driver for MySQL version ODBC 3.51.06.00.
The first problem I have is getting a connection to my host server, I get the error message @unable to connect etc (11004). I used the default port.
Secondly I have tried to make a DNS connection through Dreamweaver. but dreamweaver tries to connect and shows the 'Loading' pop up screen as it attempts to find the connection, then informs me that the connection as failed.
So can anyone out there tell this simpleton how to do it step by step please.

My second problem is this, my ISP host as told me that I do not need to install MySQL or PHP on my system as it is on theirs. If this is the case, How do I work on it. Please remember I really am struggeling and so early in the procedure as well.
Any help more than welcome, Thanks

always on board

Replies

Replied 14 Mar 2003 09:41:05
14 Mar 2003 09:41:05 Patrick Woldberg replied:
MySQL is mostly configured that it only accept connections from the localhost. You need to configure your host as remote host in Dreamweaver MX and configure the MySQL as localhost (the way it should be configured on the remote site), Dreamweaver will put an temporary file on the server and get the database information from the remote host, so you don't need to install php and MySQL on your local machine.

--------------------------------------------------
Patrick Woldberg
Web Developer at Dynamic Zones
Manager at DMXzone.com
--------------------------------------------------
Replied 23 Mar 2003 05:09:38
23 Mar 2003 05:09:38 Mikhail R. replied:
I also have a simmilar problem trying to connect to MySQL on my host server.
I was told this by my hosting "Are you trying to make the SQL database connection from your home machine? If so unless you have a static IP with reverse DNS done it wont work." So if I ask my hosting comany to configure it the way you recommend, it would work without me getting a static IP ?

If you don't ask the answer is always no.
Replied 23 Mar 2003 05:17:04
23 Mar 2003 05:17:04 Brent Colflesh replied:
Dear Montevale,
Your host is wrong - it's true some hosts only setup for localhost access, this is just the inexperience of their MySQL administrator.

Regards,
Brent

Replied 23 Mar 2003 05:23:02
23 Mar 2003 05:23:02 Mikhail R. replied:
pwoldberg says: "You need to configure your host as remote host in Dreamweaver MX"
I'm not sure what it means, how do I do that?

If you don't ask the answer is always no.

Reply to this topic