Forums

This topic is locked

updateable query error workaround

Posted 24 Jan 2003 21:25:24
has voted
24 Jan 2003 21:25:24 Brian J posted:
OK, i'm just a beginner at this SQL & ASP stuff, so bear with me.

I have uploaded a ms dbase to my server. Upon completion of the site, i noted that i could not update the database or add new records. I have read numerous pages on changing the IUSR user to have read/write/execute permissions. This does work because i designed another site, in which i requested that the permissions be changed, and everytyhing worked just fine. The problem this time is that the server admin will NOT change my permissions becuase it compromises security. Now I'm left trying to find a work around for this problem. My server has an ODBC function on their control panel, but I am unsure how to use it. I have just used an OLEDB with the JET engine to connect.

I'm using Dreamweaver MX.
Here is the exact "connect" file that dreamweaver generated based on my custom connection string to the dbase:

<%
// FileName="Connection_ado_conn_string.htm"
// Type="ADO"
// DesigntimeType="ADO"
// HTTP="true"
// Catalog=""
// Schema=""
var MM_dbs_STRING = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=" +Server.MapPath("/cjm/updates/dbase.mdb"+";user id=; password=;"
%>

And here is the execute statement on the record update page.

// execute the update
var MM_editCmd = Server.CreateObject('ADODB.Command');
MM_editCmd.ActiveConnection = MM_editConnection;
MM_editCmd.CommandText = MM_editQuery;
MM_editCmd.Execute();
MM_editCmd.ActiveConnection.Close();

I get the error on the line corresponding to the "MM_edit.Cmd.Execute()" command.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

Reply to this topic