Forums

ASP

This topic is locked

Maybe Pretty basic - Download

Posted 09 Dec 2002 16:52:25
has voted
09 Dec 2002 16:52:25 Nick Brook posted:
Hi,
Im relatively new to web site development, so this may be a pretty basic question. After I have created an asp page and uploaded it, when I try to open it in my browser it trys to download. This also happens with javascript pages, but those are the only formats I have tried. Is this my browser settings or something else? Thankyou for your help in advance.

Replies

Replied 09 Dec 2002 18:22:44
09 Dec 2002 18:22:44 Owen Eastwick replied:
Do the pages run OK when you test them on your PC? Check with your host that they support asp.

asp pages usually require NT4 or 5 server with IIS, however IIS can be configured not to run asp, similarly there are products that allow asp pages to run on Linux/Apache.

Regards

Owen.

Multiple Parameter UD4 / Access 2000 Database Search Tutorial:
www.tdsf.co.uk/tdsfdemo
Replied 10 Dec 2002 17:01:39
10 Dec 2002 17:01:39 Nick Brook replied:
The pages when loaded on my pc, directly go to ultradev, and when draged into my browser, still try to download. I suspect then that this is a setting on my PC. Could it be that it is because Ultradev has set all ASP files to load in it, or does it have nothing to do with it? I am using IE6, Zone Alarm Pro (could this be it for my PC?) and Win 98se. The files load fine in ultra dev. In terms of the server, I use Tripod, they say "Currently, Tripod does not support Active Server Pages (.asp and .asf), server-side includes (SSI), or server-side scripts that are not written in Perl. This includes (but is not limited to) JSP, PHP, ColdFusion, and XSSI." So what alternatives could I use out of them. Thanyou for your help, some thing I say you may of heard a million times before, but we all have to start somewhere! Thanks again,
Dignick

When I think of something to put here, I'll tell ya.
Replied 19 Dec 2002 16:13:28
19 Dec 2002 16:13:28 Paul Lacey replied:
Hi Dignik,

Basically you are using two incompatible technologies.

Tripod are as far as I know a free hosting service, their web servers only support basic things like html, but they won't support any dynamic code written in ASP, PHP,JSP,CFM etc etc.

So when you try to look at your ASP page on a tripod server, the server will not recognise the file type and treat it as any other file it doesn't recognise as it's own - and try to download it to your harddrive.

The difference is that whereas HTML is just a display type of language - e.g. this goes here, that goes there etc, ASP is a dymamic language and requires a web server that can process it's code/instructions e.g. if this is like this - then put that there, but only if this is equal to this.

You will struggle to find any free ASP hosting - NT servers are expensive for personal use.

I would suggest switching to the alternative - PHP, where web space is far far cheaper and just as good. Then look for some cheap (but reliable) hosting to practice your code.

You can get IIS for your own computer - but that is no good as it just means you can run asp pages through your own computer.....but not on the internet.

Also, .asp pages will not run on your computer unless accessed through IIS (a personal web server that runs on your own computer like a web site that only you can access), and that is why they always open in Ultradev. .asp pages are associated with Ultradev whereas your HTML pages are associated primarily with your browser so they work OK.

I hope that explains things a bit for you.

Please anyone correct me if I am wrong here.

Paul
Replied 29 Jan 2003 19:39:35
29 Jan 2003 19:39:35 Gav K replied:
www.pipeten.com do pretty cheap asp hosting.

:ctane::

Reply to this topic