Forums

PHP

This topic is locked

How to run PHP website on IPAQ PDA?

Posted 21 Jun 2002 20:04:19
has voted
21 Jun 2002 20:04:19 chris chris posted:
I have a php website that runs on the net. Can I download it to the IPAQ PDA and run it?

The problem I see is the DB is mySQL.

Thanks for any advice

Replies

Replied 23 Jun 2002 22:03:25
23 Jun 2002 22:03:25 Bruno Mairlot replied:
That's a question I'm quite interested in also.

Indeed, running MySQL on the iPaq might be a problem, but have you installed Apache on it ?

Bruno
Replied 24 Jun 2002 12:24:16
24 Jun 2002 12:24:16 Tim Green replied:
Well, luckily for both of you, I have actually done this.... however, there is a slight problem...

The only way that you can get Apache/MySQL and PHP to work on an iPAQ is to reflash your iPAQ with a Linux Operating System.

The problem that you face with Apache, MySQL and PHP is that all three need to be compiled for an ARM Processor (which powers an iPAQ). This is easy to do using a Linux OS, but unfortunately it's not that easy to achieve with the standard Win CE.

There are a number of webservers that will work with Win CE that are available (none of the ones I found were actually free though).

If you're interested in blasting a new OS onto your iPAQ, then check out www.handhelds.org, though I will warn you this isn't something to do lightly. You run a very real risk of converting your lovely iPAQ into a brick. So you need to ensure that you back up the iPAQ to a CF card, and ensure that you have a SERIAL transfer cable (don't use the USB cable ever for switching your OS, everyone that has done has failed).

Anyway I hope this helps.

Tim Green

Extension & PHP TalkZone Manager
<font size=1>-------------------------------------------
<i>Please read the Forum FAQ before posting
a question to this TalkZone.</i>
-------------------------------------------
www.UDzone.com : A dynamic Dreamweaver,
Ultradev and Fireworks site for developers
by developers.
-------------------------------------------</font id=size1>

Reply to this topic