Forums

PHP

This topic is locked

Update record not wotking

Posted 23 Apr 2002 08:15:07
has voted
23 Apr 2002 08:15:07 Michael O'Neill posted:
I am using Phakt/ PHP4 when I carry out an update record on my ISP's server, sometimes the record does not update, sometimes it does. There seems to be no pattern to this. Updates always work on my windows development server here at home!.

Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

Replies

Replied 23 Apr 2002 22:18:15
23 Apr 2002 22:18:15 Eric Kaiser replied:
Are you on UNIX or Windows with you ISP? How are you connecting to your ISP's database? What kind of database are you using? Are you using cookies? Are you using sessions? Have you purged your cache lately? Is the moon full?

We need to see code to really help you. There are hundreds of reasons why your scripts are failing. It could be your ISP since you can make everything work locally. But, it sounds like a database connection issue to me.
Replied 24 Apr 2002 22:35:13
24 Apr 2002 22:35:13 Tim Green replied:
It sounds very much to me like it's a permissions issue. The fact that you can create a database, and insert/retrieve records from it proves that there is no issue with your database connection.

I believe that your ISP hasn't assigned you with appropriate permissions to amend your own data.

To test this theory, connect to your database using something like MySQLFront, and try to manually update the data in a table (all you have to do is go to the relevant column and row and type in the new data). Move to another row, and the update will be sent.

If this produces an error message, then it is definitely a permissions issue and you should give your ISP a call.

Hope this helps

Tim Green

Extension & PHP TalkZone Manager
<font size=1>-------------------------------------------
<i>Please read the Forum FAQ before posting
a question to this TalkZone.</i>
-------------------------------------------
www.UDzone.com : A dynamic Dreamweaver,
Ultradev and Fireworks site for developers
by developers.
-------------------------------------------</font id=size1>
Replied 25 Apr 2002 14:34:29
25 Apr 2002 14:34:29 Michael O'Neill replied:
Thanks for the replies guys.
The weird thing is that the script works sometimes and not others, even during the same session!
My server is running Windows and the ISP is running FREEBSD. I thought there might be a bug in my update record code so I rewrote it several times to no avail.

Thanks
Mike.

Replied 26 Apr 2002 03:19:06
26 Apr 2002 03:19:06 Tim Green replied:
It is likely then, that this is a BSD-specific problem, probably related to the way that they have compiled PHP on their server.

If it works sometimes and not others in the same session, then it isn't going to be a problem with your scripts (if it was it just wouldn't work). Intermittent errors like this are usually down to a bad installation of PHP.

The only recourse in this situation, unfortunately, is via your ISP...

Tim Green

Extension & PHP TalkZone Manager
<font size=1>-------------------------------------------
<i>Please read the Forum FAQ before posting
a question to this TalkZone.</i>
-------------------------------------------
www.UDzone.com : A dynamic Dreamweaver,
Ultradev and Fireworks site for developers
by developers.
-------------------------------------------</font id=size1>

Reply to this topic