Forums

ASP

This topic is locked

Synchronising local and web database.

Posted 24 Mar 2002 04:12:47
has voted
24 Mar 2002 04:12:47 Owen Eastwick posted:
I'm putting together a database driven on-line recruitment site.

I'm still at the pondering stage, but here's what I'm thinking about:

An intranet site at the offices, using an Access database, allowing staff to add and remove vacancies.

The web site, using SQL Server, displaying current vacancies and allowing visitors to apply on-line.

Staff can make there changes to the local database and at anytime go to a page and hit a synchronise button, which would insert, update or delete the relevant entries in the relavent tables of the web database. At the same time applications and details entered by visitors to the on-line site are inserted into the local database for processing.

I can think of a couple of ways I should be able to acheive this using straight ASP. Perhaps by storing and comparing dates and times or maybe by storing relavent record information in a series of holding tables which are used to update the web database as a sort of batch process, then cleared on completion.

OK, so this is all very vague and I haven't worked out any details yet.

I was wondering whether anyone has done anything similar and has any tips, knows of any utilities that could do something along these lines, has come across any articles, websites or information that may be useful before I go ahead and make it up as I go along.

Cheers

Owen.

Edited by - oeastwick on 24 Mar 2002 04:15:36

Replies

Replied 26 Mar 2002 01:51:54
26 Mar 2002 01:51:54 Andrew Watson replied:
Aright Owen,

Im building something very similar but with a slight twist in that the site and its data is to be rented out to different recruitment agencies and allow them to share data and interact, etc.

Have you thought of having the 'in house' users (recruitment staff) use the same web system with a different access level? If you have why did you decide not to?... This would remove the need for synchronisation.

Im kind of winging it at the minute too..

Edited by - leed on 26 Mar 2002 02:01:57
Replied 26 Feb 2003 16:03:30
26 Feb 2003 16:03:30 Craig Stanton replied:
Hello,

These posts were from a while back - I'm wondering what you came up with. I will be doing a similar thing, and am not quite sure how to go about building a testing and production environment with SQL.

Thanks!

Reply to this topic