Forums

PHP

This topic is locked

Help with Tim's Upload File extension

Posted 07 Feb 2002 04:57:17
has voted
07 Feb 2002 04:57:17 Michael Beardsley posted:
Hello all,

I've just tried to use PHP Upload File 1.0.8 and can't seem to get it to cooperate.

php.ini has the temporary directory set to /tmp. Permissions are 777 for /tmp. Permissions are 777 for the directory in the webapp I'm trying to upload to.

I can get it to echo back to me the local file name, the remote file name, the file size, and the MIME type, on Submit but I can't seem to get any echo of the $msg variable as either just $msg or $HTTP_GET_VARS["msg"].

The remote file name is always /tmp/php###### where the hash marks are some random characters. The timestamp on /tmp updates BUT, the file doesn't ever get put into the directory I'm after in the webapp. I've tried both a relative path and a full path starting from / . I've also tried just asking it to be put into /tmp and that didn't work either.

What did I miss here? Any thoughts? This is on a local linux server that I have complete control over so I can change anything should I need.

Michael

Replies

Replied 07 Feb 2002 12:44:03
07 Feb 2002 12:44:03 enquest enquest1 replied:
My thought (could be wrong)
Did you check php.ini file for setting about the permission. I believe I asked the question a while ago so check it. You can find it by searching the forum with Search. Something what is a great resource for most problems. If its not that then Tim will be at the rescue!
(in the php.ini you need to find where the /tmp is stored and check it if it point correctly to the directory. Further check if you PHP has upload restriction!
Also is your PHP up to date?

(Well if I am wrong don't shoot me, I also am just learning!)

Replied 08 Feb 2002 00:32:33
08 Feb 2002 00:32:33 Michael Beardsley replied:
enquest,

Thanks for your thoughts. They were indeed mine too. As I mentioned though, the permissions on both the temporary directory the file is initially written too as well as the directory I would like the file to be ultimately uploaded to are set to 777, which is UNIX-speak for read/write/execute for Owner, Group, and Everyone.

On UNIX (Linux) the system temporary directory is called 'tmp' and you refer to the root level of your computer with a slash '/' It's analogous to saying C:\tmp (although on Windows, it's usually C:\temp).

I think the problem has something to do with how I'm entering the path for the desired upload directory in step 1 of the behavior's dialog box. There's a browse button, but until I get Samba set up that's not going to help me much.

Any other thoughts?

Michael

Reply to this topic